Nearest places

Residential house of the early XX century
The two-storey wooden house on 30, Kuznetsova st. could have many memorial tablets, telling the by passers the story of its former residents.
Tomsk Polytechnic University (the 1st, Mining Building)
During the construction of the first Tomsk Institute of Technology building in 1899, its first principal Efim Zubashev returned from the Siberian tour and turned to making a curriculum draft.
Tomsk Polytechnic University (the 19th building)
The 19th building is one of the youngest Polytechnic buildings. It was built in 2001. It became a residence for the Humanities Department, which was also founded relatively not long ago – in 1998.

TPU Scientific and Technical Library

TPU Scientific and Technical Library, 2013
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
The TPU STL is the first technical library beyond the Urals. In the first years of its existence in the beginning of XX century its stock was gleaned, books were acquired as well by means of citizens’ donations. Nowadays it is one of the largest, most complete and equipped technical library in Siberia. Though it was a contemporary of the university, the library obtained its own building only 62 years after its opening. STL is the only Russian library with an international quality certificate.
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo from the assets of the TPU Museum Complex
Photo from the assets of the TPU Museum Complex
To avoid trips to Europe
Presenting the candidate plan of the university to the state committee, the first principal of the Tomsk Institute of Technology Efim Zubashev noted that the Siberian city Tomsk is distanced from European cultural centers and thus the future university needs a great scientific and technical library. The committee made a decision to create a library at the TIT. Although, the assignations (public money) were few and the Institute council decided to give the library a considerable sum – 4500 rubles – for the purchase of magazines. In total, the arrangement of the library cost 30000 rubles.
Prerevolutionary library stock
Photo from the assets of the TPU Museum Complex
From ones to thousands
Professors of the institute composed the literature want list by themselves. Before long, in the fall of 1900 Zubashev acquired for the university the library of a mining engineer S. N. Kulibin – a secretary at the Petersburg Mining Committee. It contained more than 2000 books. Part of the stock was purchased by means of donations.
By the time of the opening, the library’s stock contained 6000 books on math, theoretical mechanics, physics, chemistry, also 17 titles of national publications and 85 titles of foreign publications.
By 1911 the library had already held 34211 books. Specialized books started to fill the STL’s shelves in 1925. Nowadays its stock contains about 3 million books.
TPU Scientific and Technical Library before the Revolution of 1917
Photo from the assets of the TPU Museum Complex
The postponed housewarming
Until 1962, the storerooms with so reach a stock were resided in the left wing of the Main building. At that year it was decided to build a stand-alone building for the library. The construction began only six years later – in 1968 on a place of a former school ice rink. The housewarming party was finally held in 1973. The library is located there up to now.
The library staff were looking forward to the opening so badly that they removed construction waste and washed the rooms by themselves. Students contributed to the move too – they helped to load and carry innumerable books. At that time the stock contained about 1 300 000 items!
In 1988 the library was named after Vladimir Afanasyevich Obruchev, geologist, explorer of Siberia and the founder of the Siberian geological school. He was one of the first TIT professor and planned its first buildings. The library bears his name up to the present day.
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Not only the library, but the museum too
The TPU STL is famous not only for its reach stock, but also for the collection of rare books and manuscripts. Many of them are dated to the XVI century. They include lifetime editions of works of such scientists as M.V. Lomonosov, S. P. Krashennikov, L. Euler, K. F. Gauss, and J. L. Lagrange. The STL also holds XVIII century publications of the Imperial Academy of Science and the S.N. Kulibin’s library, belonging to the grandchild of the famous inventor I. P. Kulibin. The 1580 edition of a German mine foreman and metallurgist Lazar Erker’s book “Description of the most important ore and mining productions” is one of the oldest “exhibit items” of the library.
Constantly look for facts, collect them from nature and books, read good textbooks from cover to cover, even those which are not a part of the program. Study your own profession thoroughly, but do not spare time for other ones. 
V. A. Obruchev, the article “Have a good trip, the travelers to the third millennium”, 1954
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Books and files
Nowadays the TPU library is not only an ordered repository of special purpose and fiction literature and periodicals. The library allows its visitors to use both local and worldwide online sources.
The reading room is equipped with 40 workplaces providing the access to dozens of full-text and bibliographic databases and to the online library. The latter includes the collection of standard technical documentation and the online patent database.
70 workplaces are equipped with computers providing software for solving research and engineering problems and with facilities for design printing for term and graduation works.
TPU STL is a member of consortiums like NEICON (National Electronic Informational Consortium, organization that provides the online access for Russian libraries, universities and institutes to its periodic scientific information), E-library, YIC (Youth information center) – lecturers and students of the university use the enormous amount of their online sources for free.
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
Photo by Vladimir Lavrentyev
The information prepared with the help of TPU Museum Complex staff and the TPU On-line Encyclopedia